How to make Photographs Vintage in GIMP
Vintage style is sometimes desired to achieve a certain mood and aesthetic for a photograph. In this Gimp tutorial I’ll show you how to make your photographs Vintage in a few short easy steps.
1. Gradient Map
- Open your image in Gimp!
- Duplicate your ‘Background‘ Layer, call it ‘Gradient‘(Right Click > Edit Layer Attributes):
- Make FG: ff7c00
- Make BG: 290a59
- Now on your duplicated layer ‘Gradient’, go Colors –> Map –> Gradient Map:
- And set layer ‘Gradient‘ to Mode: Overlay
2. Channel Mixer
- Duplicate ‘Background’ layer, call it ‘Channel Mixer’:
- Drag to top of layers and set Mode: Multiply
- To make your colours more saturated go Channel Mixer: Colors –> Components –> Channel Mixer:
- As shown, on the Red Channel: Move the Green slider right and the Blue slider left, experiment a little as it will vary for each photograph(similar to as shown):
- Green Channel: Move the Green slider right (similar to as shown):
- Blue Channel: Red slider right, Green slider right, Blue slider left (similar to as shown):
3. Color Balance
- Duplicate ‘Background’ layer, call it ‘Color Balance’:
- Drag to top of layers and set Mode: Overlay
- To get that purple tinge go, Colors –> Color Balance:
- Select Shadows:
- Increase the Red: ~ 75
- Decrease the Green: ~ -15
- Decrease the Blue: ~ -5
- Note: Results may vary for different photographs!
- Select Midtones:
- Decrease the Red: ~ -100
- Increase the Green: ~ 54
- Decrease the Blue: ~ -35
- Select Highlights:
- Decrease the Red: ~ -45
- Decrease the Green: ~ -10
- Increase the Blue: ~ 35
4½. Merge Visible + Levels
- Once you have finished your layer adjustments, uncheck the ‘eye’ on ‘Background’ layer or Delete it:
- Then, on any layer: *Right Click* > Merge Visible Layers… (Expand as Necessary):
- If you photograph has become too dark, then Adjust the Levels: Color –> Levels:
- Move the centre slider towards the left:
That’s It! Here is the Before/After:
If you get stuck anywhere just comment below!
If you’d like to use these photographs please Contact Me!
Please comment below if you have any questions and I’ll answer them ASAP!
All images on this site are copyrighted© – All Rights Reserved.