Simple solution to Hands-Free BULB exposures – Rubber Band and Eraser – DIY
The majority of DSLR Cameras only have long hands-Free shutter speeds of 30 or 60 seconds, but as you know these shutter times are not always enough especially if your attempting a star trails shot. So, the solution is to buy a shutter release cable, however for such a simple task it shouldn’t require a shutter release cable costing $50 – $100, which is the going price these days! So, instead of paying ~$50 just grab a 10 cent rubber-band and an old eraser!
All you’ll need:
- Your Camera
- Cheap Rubber Band
- Old Eraser
- Get your eraser and cut it up so it is just smaller/thinner than your shutter button
- Grab your rubber band
- Make sure the rubber band fits over your camera grip completely and it is tight.
- If you have a neck strap – put the rubber band around it, just undo the strap.
3. How to use
- Set your camera to BULB mode.
- As simple as the idea – just place your eraser on the shutter button.
- Then when you want to make an exposure lift it up off the button then place it back down and the exposure should begin!
- Start timing with your Watch!
- When you’d like to end your exposure gentle lift the eraser up, or any way to best minimise shake.
This is a really basic solution and a cable release is a little more practical and probably much more accurate in its readings, but this will save you money :)
If you’d like to use these photographs please Contact Me!
Please comment below if you have any questions and I’ll answer them ASAP!
All images on this site are copyrighted© – All Rights Reserved.