Simple solution to Hands-Free BULB exposures – Rubber Band and Eraser – DIY
The majority of DSLR Cameras only have long hands-Free shutter speeds of 30 or 60 seconds, but as you know these shutter times are not always enough especially if your attempting a star trails shot. So, the solution is to buy a shutter release cable, however for such a simple task it shouldn’t require a shutter release cable costing $50 – $100, which is the going price these days! So, instead of paying ~$50 just grab a 10 cent rubber-band and an old eraser!
All you’ll need:
- Your Camera
- Cheap Rubber Band
- Old Eraser
- Get your eraser and cut it up so it is just smaller/thinner than your shutter button
- Grab your rubber band
- Make sure the rubber band fits over your camera grip completely and it is tight.
- If you have a neck strap – put the rubber band around it, just undo the strap.
3. How to use
- Set your camera to BULB mode.
- As simple as the idea – just place your eraser on the shutter button.
- Then when you want to make an exposure lift it up off the button then place it back down and the exposure should begin!
- Start timing with your Watch!
- When you’d like to end your exposure gentle lift the eraser up, or any way to best minimise shake.
This is a really basic solution and a cable release is a little more practical and probably much more accurate in its readings, but this will save you money :)
If you’d like to use these photographs please Contact Me!
Please comment below if you have any questions and I’ll answer them ASAP!
All images on this site are copyrighted© – All Rights Reserved.
Written by Mike
Deprecated: Function the_author_description is deprecated since version 2.8.0! Use the_author_meta('description') instead. in /home/scottp12/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5413
Michael Scott is the publisher and photographer behind Scott Photographics! He is very passionate about his photography and enjoys sharing the best of his experiences for others to enjoy too! Contact Mike via email!