How to make a Water-Colour Ubuntu Wallpaper in GIMP
In this tutorial I’ll guide you through making a cool and fresh Water-Colour Wallpaper in GIMP. At the end you can add your favourite operating system logo and set your new wallpaper as your background!
Ubuntu Water Colour Wallpaper
1. Downloading Brushes and Logo
Free Water Colour Brushes (.abr)
Free Ubuntu Vector Logo
2. Starting (Video Tutorial)
- Begin by opening up a fresh document in GIMP
- Settings: 1600 x 1200 , 200dpi:
Starting a new document
- Fill the Background layer with Black:
- Add a New Layer (Transparency):
- Select the Brush Tool with a Light-Yellow colour, Scale: 0.75 of Original size:
- Paint a couple of strokes as shown below:
Painting (Click to view larger)
4. Repeating Step 2 for each Colour
- Just as Step 2 explains:
- Add a New Layer (Transparent)
- Select a Brush style
- Paint 1 or 2 strokes
- Go, Colors –> Hue-Saturation and Slide to a specific colour:
Add New Layer - Brush - Hue Shift: Blue (Click to view larger)
5. Importing Logo Vector
- Now, open your Vector Logo in GIMP, File –> Open as Layers (Crtl + Alt + O)
- Right Click on your Logo Layer and Add Alpha Channel
- Use the Select by Color Tool on the white:
- Now, go Select –> Grow: by 1 Pixel (get rid of any outlines), Press Delete!
- Now invert that selection, go Select –> Invert (Crtl + I)
- And fill whole selection with Black:
- Deselect All
Opening Ubuntu Logo (Click to view larger)
6. Aligning Logo
- Firstly, go Image –> Guides –> New Guide (by Percent)
- Choose 50% Horizontal and another guide 50% Vertical:
- Now you can use the Move Tool (press M) to position your logo in the middle:
Aligning Logo - Guides - Move Tool
7. Finishing Up!
- That’s It! Just set it as your new desktop wallpaper!
- I made a Windows and Apple Logo Version:
Apple Logo Water-Colour Brush Wallpaper
Windows Logo Wallpaper Water Colour Brush
If you get stuck anywhere just comment below!
If you’d like to use these photographs please Contact Me!
Please comment below if you have any questions and I’ll answer them ASAP!
All images on this site are copyrighted© – All Rights Reserved.