Making a Christmas Wallpaper in GIMP! This is perfect for Christmas Cards, Letters, Emails, or just a Wallpaper for your computer!
1. Starting + Download
- Open GIMP with settings: 1600 x 1200 , 300 dpi , Transparent background.
- Then, grab your Gradient Tool and use FG:pale blue and BG: white, make the background:
- Now use the Brush Tool with this Snow Flake Brush set: gimpstuff.org/content/show.php/Steves+Snowflakes?content=94754
- Use the settings as shown: Opacity, Hardness, Size: Random, Scale: 0.30:
- Stroke from side to side until you find an even spread:
2. Pen Tool
- Create a new layer ‘Tree‘:
- Now, use the Pen Tool to draw something similar to what’s below, and then click Selection from Path:
- And colour in that selection with the Gradient Tool – FG: Dark Green, BG: Black, Linear:
- Stroke as shown:
- Create a new layer ‘Stump‘:
- Use the Lasso Tool and draw a box like ‘Stump‘:
- Colour in the Stump with the Gradient Tool, settings: FG: Brown BG: Black, Linear:
5. Gaussian Blur Shadow
- Create a new layer ‘Shadow‘
- Draw a small ‘Oval’ with the Eclipse Tool, and fill it with 30% Black.
- Now, apply Gaussian Blur to the Layer, around 24 will do:
6. Duplicate Layer ‘Tree’
Duplicate that Layer a few times and place them around (May adjust size and apply Gaussian Blur – to great depth in the image).
You could also repeat the steps again to make different looking Trees (use the Flip Tool to change the look as well!)
- Create a new layer ‘Path‘:
- Draw a ‘Path’ using the Path Tool like shown:
- Use the square ends to stretch and compress:
Fill with a pale blue at 30%, similar to the sky as it will blend in more.
Another way to fade the ‘Path’, is to apply a Layer Mask (White), and blend the path in!
9. That’s It!
To make the centre Christmas Tree please follow this tutorial I made previously (just the Tree section), and then come back: scottphotographics.com/christmas-tree-merry-christmas
If you’d like the Snow Man, everything is in the .XCF file :) (Below)
Now, simply add some dark blue text to the top, settings as shown:
The Christmas-Wallpaper .XCF file: DOWNLOAD (1.80mb)
The Christmas-Wallpaper .JPG file: DOWNLOAD (460kb)
More Christmas Tutorials
Please comment below if you have any questions and I’ll answer them ASAP!
All images on this site are copyrighted – All Rights Reserved.